The words ‘diet’, ‘clean eating’, ‘detox’ are often associated with fads and failures, but the 80/20 principle is no diet. It’s a lifestyle modification that can lead to sustainable changes.

Depriving and limiting ourselves is a thing of the past and is not maintainable, so the 80/20 lifestyle has merits of balance and moderation with long term achievable concepts.

How does it work?

The basic concept is that you eat a well-balanced healthy diet 80% of the time, allowing yourself a little splurge on less-than-healthy foods the other 20% of the time without totally sabotaging your health and weight loss goals. Another positive with this way of eating is its eradication of guilt. We often allow guilt to cast a dark cloud over our day when we splurge at lunch on a Thursday, but this is often more straining on our health, associating our food with negative connotations. Maintaining a balanced mind-set about eating sees the most positive prolonged results.

What to remember?

When embarking on a healthy eating lifestyle we are notoriously bad at judging our calories, estimating portions and understanding what is well balanced. This includes estimating what exactly that 20% is. Be aware of how you categorise foods and what falls into that 20% not-so-healthy? Using the correct terminology is important, as is not being critical of your efforts. For example, using the popular term ‘Cheat Meal’ implies healthy eating is a punishment or a chore. Indulgence has a place in any sustainable eating plan. While this 20% may not be benefiting you hugely from a nutrition perspective, it nourishes you in other ways, general sanity and happiness.

Need some nutrition advice?

Our nutritionists can design a balanced meal plan for you, without restricting you completely. Know your portions with our pre-portioned, calorie defined meals that will help educate you on what accounts for 80%. Our nutrition team can also help you evaluate your 20% and ensure you do not over estimate how many not-so-healthy meals you are having. Why not begin your 80/20 lifestyle change with one of GourmetFuel’s balanced meal plans, saving you time, effort and money, with the support of your own personal nutritionist to finally get your nutrition on track.

Categories

Call Now ?

 

Shop Now ?

 

Email Now ?

 

Book a Consultation ?

 

Rebecca G

Rebecca G

Rebecca is a registered Associate Nutritionist with the UKVRN through the Association for Nutrition. She completed her Bachelors of Science Degree in Nutraceuticals in Health and Nutrition before achieving her Masters Degree in Public Health Nutrition in Queen Margaret’s University, Edinburgh. Before joining the GourmetFuel team, Rebecca was a Nutrition & Allergen Menu Analyst. She is passionate about food and promoting ‘real food’ diets! She is also interested in Childhood and Elderly Nutrition.
Share this Story

Related Posts

The Importance of Sleep

The Importance of Sleep

The Importance of Sleep Getting enough sleep is essential for helping us to maintain optimal health and well-being. So, when it comes to our health, sleep is as vital as regular exercise and eating a balanced diet. Unfortunately, there’s a lot that can interfere with...

The 80/20 Diet

The 80/20 Diet

The 80/20 Diet The 80/20 Diet is all about promoting moderation and balance. Although ‘everything in moderation’ is a well-known concept, it helps to have structure when it comes to your own healthy eating so as to avoid over-indulging ‘in moderation’. Therefore,...

7 Secrets to a Successful Summer

7 Secrets to a Successful Summer

7 Secrets to a Successful Summer With Summer in full swing and the sun shining, it’s easy to put our nutrition on the back burner. To clarify, getting back on track after a Lockdown filled with boozy Zoom calls and snacking binges like it was Christmas was not easy,...